Monday 29 September 2014

Sports: 103-Year-Old Sprinter Challenges Usain Bolt

 
Hidekichi Miyazaki-Japanese athlete in August threw down the challenge to the world's fastest man Usain Bolt, telling him, "let's rumble".

Hidekichi, who turned 104 on the 22nd of September, holds the 100 meters world record for centenarians at 29.83 seconds and is dubbed "Golden Bolt". He is five feet tall and weighs 92 pounds.
"I'd love to race Bolt," the wispy-haired Miyazaki told AFP in an interview after tottering over the line with a joyful whoop at a recent Japan Masters Athletics competition in Kyoto.
"I'm keeping the dream alive. I try to stay in top shape and stay disciplined and healthy. That's important for everyone -- even Usain Bolt." 

"My body is small so I take care of what I eat," said Miyazaki, 
"When I eat, I chew each mouthful 30 times before swallowing," he added, "That makes my tummy happy and helps my running. And I eat my tangerine jam every day."
Miyazaki hails from tea-growing Shizuoka prefecture, about 200 kilometers southwest of Tokyo, now has his sights on another milestone in the unlikely 105-109 age group category.

The question remains, would Usain Bolt take up great grand daddy's challenge?
Via washingtonpost

No comments: