Friday 6 March 2015

Baba, You Are A Tenant In Aso Rock, It Belongs To Nigeria - Tinubu To Obasanjo (Once Upon A Time)

The former Lagos State Governor and national leader of the All Progressives Congress Bola Tinubu, yesterday, Thursday, March 5th revealed that though former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, dealt with him; yet "there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies in politics."
Mr. Tinubu stated this at Chief. Obasanjo’s 78th birthday lecture held at the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library in Abeokuta, Ogun State; when he was called on to address the guests. He said:
“You trapped me innocently with a great wisdom of a 78-year-old. I’m honoured to be here and many of you will see this as a rare occasion but this is an opportunity to pay tribute to a nationalist, a teacher, a disciplinarian and a tutor in dignity and boldness.
“Yes, it is true, there are no permanent friends or permanent enemies in politics. What is common is common interest. 
"Once upon a time, some nine years ago, I went to the (Aso Rock) Villa, the President, Olusegun Obasanjo, asked me to walk out and was just abusing me in the papers and I said, “Baba, you are a tenant here. This house belongs to Nigeria. If I get to Ota, you can send me out. I brought file about Nigeria.”
And he said, “That is true, sit down.”

“If I could tell you several events that occurred between the two of us in the interest of the nation, I would write an epistle but today is not for that. But how do you celebrate truly and honour a man who has kept you on your toes? Between Baba Olusegun Obasanjo and myself, what I can say is gratitude from me because you kept me on my toes."

“Each time we disagree on things of principle, I took him to court. One time, as the President, he saw me and said, “You took me to court. We can’t be friends after the court.” And I told him, “I didn’t take you to court, I took the Nigeria President to court.” And he said, “Get out of my way” and I told him, I wouldn’t get out of the way until I get what I want.”



No comments: